Read Democracy 1of 3
CLASSIFICATION of Democracy
Emphasis on Procedures and Institutions
– Free & fair elections
– Who participates in decision making
– How many votes to reach a decision
– Legislative Assemblies
– Constitutional Governments
– Social & economic inequalities prevent full participation by poorer, less/un educated, disadvantaged people.
– In Theory, there is political equality.
– In Reality, there is political inequality.
– Emphasis only on procedures and institutions produces undesirable social policies.
Emphasis on substance of policy making
– Emphasis is on the essence or substance of policy making
– Granting of civil liberties & rights.
– Ensuring society of truly equal citizens.
– People who are politically engaged, tolerant, equal voice in choosing leaders and holding them accountable.
– Does not provide clear precise criteria